Sunday, July 3

#18 & 19 - Wow! 1.5hrs of running...I think the marathon's gonna be possible

After a lame week last week I decided I was gonna do a long run on the weekend and settled on 1.5hrs.

It took all of Saturday to build up the courage, waste time in Westfields, and to get hold of a left and a right trainer...? Eh?... Well I bought some new ones a week ago. I opened the box on Wednesday to find that they'd given me two left feet. By the time I returned to the Athlete's Foot shop in Westfield Centrepoint on Saturday, they'd sold two right feet to someone else! And had no more in that model.

They tried to fob me off with some ugly looking uncomfortable cheap pair as the last hours of daylight were being eaten into. I almost caved in but at the last minute decided I was gonna get what I wanted and told them to ring their other store over in Bondi Junction. They had the trainers I needed and some better ones as well.

So for the second time that day I went to Bondi Westfield (I was there before going to Centrepoint). Ahgggrhh...awful places to spend the few hours of free daylight of the week. I got the trainers - some Brooks Glycerin 4, for a whopping $270, very comfy. And I lost the van in the car park.

It was dark by the time I got out to run so I stuck my flashing red cycle light on the back of my cap. Does it get more nerdy than this?

I ran for the full 1.5hrs, and started getting pain in my right knee after about 45mins. It was a hilly route which didn't help with the problem. But it did give me a confidence boost. Even after the full 90mins I felt like I could've gone on for another hour, I was not exhausted. But I was getting bothered by the knee.

I'd run from Tamarama south along the coast to Coogee, then back through Randwick to Bondi Rd and across Bondi Beach and back to Tama. A great route. I even enjoyed myself! I think I've made a big leap in fitness this week and am no longer scared of going on big runs. This weekend it's gonna be 2.5hrs! Bring it on!

The following morning I woke stiff (no sniggering!) but went for a 10min run down to Bronte Beach. K joined me which was a treat. And to my surprise she suggested a few lengths in the freezing cold seawater pool to cool off. After that my body was buzzing and I spent the next few hours high on my sporting achievements! I was getting carried away and when J asked me if I wanted to do a few laps of Centennial Park on the bike I jumped straight in. Off I went and got 29kms under my belt before night fall. A top weekend was then concluded with a top dinner with N&G.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home