Saturday, June 4

#6 - Cross training (50km cycle)

The training plans say that by now I should be doind a 20km run once a week. I substituted that with a 50km cycle ride today (about 2.5hrs ride time) which is much more pleasurable - sociable, less pain on the hips. From Bondi to Watson's Bay then La Perouse. Still feeling weak from last week's running though: my thighs (quads?) were very much feeling the last 10kms.

Thee-quarters way round is the coffee stop, which is really the best bit. "No brown bread here mate, white sliced". First bacon in a long time. Yum.

So an aside to this running malarky is cycling. I did a fair bit last year: Around the Bay in a Day (Melbourne), Loop the Lake (Newcastle), Great Welsh Winter Ride, Tour de Malaysia, Sydney-Katoomba, The Gong (Sydney)....that's the first time I've listed them, and I have to admit I'm a tad impressed!

So it's cycling season again and I'm planning to combine that with marathon training. The big focus will be Melbourne which is a few weeks after the marathon. So I'm not gonna train for the bike rides, but doing a few now and again instead of running should be good for fitness and will break up the monotony.

From hot and sweaty to cold and sweaty: Thailand to North Wales

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home