Wednesday, May 25

Marathon musings #1 - The beginning

My thoughts addressed to Ferg on 26 May, the day after my first session. I was in North Wales.

I'm getting excited...

..."training" began yesterday - with a c30-40 mile bike ride through the mountains with Nick - 40 miles might not sound much but we went over two very high passes - gainng 400 metres to the first one, then dropping right back down again to Lake Vrynwy (incidentally an amazingly beautiful area of the Wales and the world). Then gained 250m, and dropped down to Bala Lake. Needless to say I was quite chuffed about the whole thing, having not done a decent ride for a while, and had the wobbly legs to prove what a ride it had been.

Green green Wales

Right that's it - on track now, I'll get up early and go for a swim tomorrow and then a decent run on Friday, I thought.

Then I called Al to find out where he was watching the match (Euro final). About 20 pints and two double-vodka-redbulls, an amazing match, much jubilatioon, a couple of tequilas, and most of a pack of twenty later - I now realise the training thing is gonna take a lot of sacrifice.

Your writings on This Is 'Ull have added to the inspiration I've been seeking and is now building up to a commitment to do the 2005 Sydney marathon in under 4:30 in just over 3 mths time.

I'll keep you posted with my progress!

(15 weeks / 109 days to go)
Here's Ferg's account of his London Marathon experience: http://www.thisisull.com/sports/marathon/fergmarathon05.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home